California's strict test for employment status, known as AB 5, is about to get adjusted to provide some relief for a number of traditionally freelance workers who said their business was harmed by the law, which kicked in early in 2020 and mandated that many of these workers be legally treated as employees.
The new bill is going to the governor, who is expected to sign it, and it will then go immediately into effect. This new bill will:
- youth sports coaches,
- specialized performers,
- home inspectors,
- insurance industry field service contractors,
- underwriting inspectors,
- premium auditors,
- risk management, or loss control specialists
- sports competition judges, umpires, and referees,
- graphic design,
- web design,
- wedding planning & event vending,
- yard cleanup,
- interpreting and translating services.